Alleged Fulani Islamist Terrorists set Fire to a Bus with 42 Passengers in Nigeria. At least 23 Died Burned Alive
Sokoto state governor Aminu Tambuwal said that the gunmen opened fire at a bus conveying the travelers along a route notorious for such attacks in the Isa area of the state. Twenty-three of the travelers died of fire burns while six others were injured, he said. This happened in the morning on December, 8.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack but blame quickly fell on assailants who have killed at least 2,500 people in the northwest and central states in the first half of 20201, according to data from the U.S. Council on Foreign Relations.
Buhari — who was elected in 2015 after promising to crush Islamist extremists in the northeast — has seen the armed violence in other parts of northern Nigeria grow rapidly under his watch. He faces mounting pressure to act. On Wednesday, he said the latest attack “shows that the evil this administration is confronting is one that requires the support and involvement of all Nigerians.”
CHRISTIAN HOLOCAUST: Tragedies, names, faces among 2983 martyrs in 2019. Massacres raised
“I extend deep condolences to the families of the victims as I assure that the security agencies will continue to give their all to bring to an end the operations of these despicable people,” Buhari said.
The armed groups often target communities where they outnumber and outgun security operatives. They mostly consist of young men from the Fulani ethnic group, who had traditionally worked as nomadic cattle herders but are caught up in a decades-long conflict with Hausa farming communities over access to water and grazing land.
In late November, Nigeria designated them a terrorist organization and authorities promised that will create new chances to prosecute the gunmen, who are rarely charged in court.
Jihadist demons spree: 11 Christians beheaded in Nigeria. Blast-massacre of students in Mogadishu: 90 dead
In condemning the latest attack in Sokoto, where nearly 100 people have been killed in the last three months, state police commissioner Kamaldeen Okunola promised that “strategies are on to make sure that this will not happen again.”
Nearly 50 villagers were massacred in two local government areas of the state last month, an incident Governor Aminu Tambuwal called ‘upsetting’.
At least 11,500 people were forced to flee from Sokoto to neighbouring Niger Republic in November due to terror attacks on their communities, according to the UNHCR.
“Women and children make up the majority of the recent arrivals and describe killings, kidnappings for ransom, and the looting of their villages,” UNHCR spokesperson, Boris Cheshirkov, said at a press briefing last week.
They took shelter in 26 villages across Bangui, located in Niger’s Tahoua region which already received 3,500 Nigerian refugees since September.
Gospa News Editorial Staff
© COPYRIGHT GOSPA NEWS
prohibition of reproduction without authorization
follow Gospa News on Telegram
ABC NEWS – Nigerian leader ‘distressed’ after 23 travelers slain on bus
PULSE – Terrorists burn bus with 42 passengers inside in Sokoto
Syria: NATO, UN are responsible for Turkish Use of Chemical Weapons. Swedish-Iranian Expert Dr. Mansoura Accuses